Saturday, February 1, 2014

Glossybox - January 2014

I run so hot and cold with most of my subs. Some, I have consistently been with since I first tried them (Ipsy, Popsugar). Others, I break up with and then come crawling back (Birchbox, Glossybox, Sample Society). Glossybox especially always leaves me debating, not because of the products, but because of a combination of price and various other issues, like customer service.

Glossybox ships late. Sometimes REALLY late...and this month, they have had even more shipping delays than usual (weather, waiting for products to be delivered, etc). The good news is, I actually don't mind that. Most of my subs come in at roughly the same time...it's kind of nice to get one spread out like this, when the fun of my others has passed! As long as my box shows up, I am generally happy. More important is what is inside!

January's box has a theme of, simply, "Welcome to 2014"! The card says that they want to make sure we have the best skincare and makeup to start the year off right. 2013 was a rough one, so a fresh start sounds good to me!

beautyblender pure and blender cleanser - This is the "star" of the box, and the item they used to draw in subscribers. beautyblender is a sponge that allows for flawless application of not only foundation, but skin care as well! It's a little different from other sponges. You get it wet before using, and it nearly doubles in size! Then you stipple/pat on your face products. I have tried cheap knockoffs of this, but people always said they don't really compare, and just by feel, I think they're probably right. I'm so excited to try this! pure is just like the original, only it has no dye, which is good for sensitive skin. My skin can handle a dyed sponge, but it's a nice thought. The blender cleanser is a lavender scented wash for the cleanser and also brushes. I've actually tried it before - Birchbox sent it to me a while back. I didn't have a beautyblender to try it on, but it did a really great job of cleaning my brushes, so I'm happy to have another sample! These items alone make the cost nearly worth it!

Balance Me Super Toning Body Wash - This is an invigorating and toning body wash with lots of essential oils in it. It smells very herbal and refreshing. I'm always happy to get a new body wash, and i love ones with natural fragrances. It's not the most exciting sample, but it is a good one. It seems this is one of the products that delayed the box, and some subscribers won't be getting it as planned, and instead they'll be getting a perfume. I would have been okay with that, too.

Toni&Guy Hair Meet Wardrobe Casual Sea Salt Texturizing Spray - This is just what it sounds like - a sea salt spray to give the "beachy" look. I have to try to be objective about this. It is a great brand, and the sample size is wonderful! However, I just absolutely hate sea salt sprays. I've been sent so many by so many different brands, and all of them just make my hair look and feel dirty and dry. I guess I just don't have the hair type for it. I've never been able to pull off the "messy on purpose" look...on me, it just looks like an unfortunate accident. No matter, this will be added to my "trade or gift" pile, which already contains a similar spray (not to mention the 4 others I just got rid of a few weeks ago...sigh).

Bellapierre Cosmetics Mineral Blush in Desert Rose - This is a natural toned mineral blush. I love blushes, and this one is very pretty! However, my blush box is a little bit out of control. As it is, I'll probably never be able to even make a dent in most of them. While this is a pretty color, it is not unique in my collection, so I will probably add it to the trade/gift pile, as well. I have a shadow by this same brand and it is gorgeous and good quality! I'm just trying to waste less!

Vichy Aqualia Thermal Rich Cream - This is a soothing moisturizer with mineral-rich thermal water and hyaluronic acid. I have actually tried this before, (I believe I have 2 pots of it right now, in fact) and it is very nice! Super moisturizing, but not too heavy or greasy, and it smells light and fresh. It feels really nice on my winter skin! I love the .5 oz pots, too, and use them to put foil samples in to make them last longer. I won't be purchasing, only because I have enough samples of moisturizers to live on for a while, and when I DO purchase, I have vowed to buy only natural items. But it is a very good product!


Overall, this is a pretty good box! All of the items are high quality, even the two I will not be using. It's not my favorite box, but it is definitely not the worst. The beauty blender and the body wash alone make it worth it for me!

What do you think about January's box?

No comments: