Saturday, January 18, 2014

Beauty Bar Sample Society - January 2014

Sample Society is a strange sub for me. I've signed up for it several times, after seeing things that had been sent out and drooling over them, gotten a box or two each time, and then canceled because once in my hand, the boxes haven't excited me.

I decided to give them another try this month after I saw the spoiler (which was Butter LONDON nail fertilizer or cuticle oil). My box showed up a few days ago, and I was excited to see if this was the box that would finally keep me hooked!

I've always enjoyed their sleek black and silver packaging. The boxes are really great for organizing samples and small items. Inside, the info card tells me that the theme this month is "Take Care", and it's all about post-holiday TLC and pampering. Having worked the holidays and been through the snow storm from hell, I could definitely use the pampering right now! Here's what I received!

butter LONDON Handbag Holiday Cuticle Oil - This is a vitamin rich oil that promises to keep the nails and cuticles moisturized and healthy. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed to get this. Don't get me wrong, it looks like an amazing product! But, I have several cuticle oils already, and I was really hoping for the Horsepower Nail Fertilizer. My biggest hand issue is weak, thin, peeling nails and I was hoping for that to help them out. However, this will be used or gifted and it is an amazing inclusion for a subscription box! 

 Fekkai Advanced Glossing Shampoo - This is a shampoo infused with olive oil that promises to enhance shine and strengthen the hair. I have actually used a sample of this shampoo before and liked it! It did tame my frizz and flyaways and leave my hair nice and shiny. I really hate when subs send shampoos without the coordinating conditioner, though...I just don't think you really try out the full effects when you receive only one or the other. I will eventually use this, but I am going to need to find a matching conditioner first!

Nicole Richie Eau de Parfum - This is a scent featuring notes ambers, fruits, and florals. On me, I mostly smell the amber, which I do like!  It's a bit creamy and warm, and definitely sensual. It is not a scent I would buy, but I will definitely use the sample. I'm glad it is a spray top sample, as the other kind always end up spilling.

Orlane Paris Extreme Line Reducing Lip Care - This is a hydrating lip treatment that promises to fight lines and wrinkles on the lips. I feel pretty ho-hum about this. I do like and use anti-aging products, as I am nearly 30 and terrified of aging! However, I'm not really at the point yet to really appreciate an extreme line reducing lip product. I will use it, because prevention is good and all, but it's definitely not something exciting for me and definitely not something I'll buy any time soon.

StriVectin Present Perfect - This is an anti-oxidant rich cream that promises to make the skin look younger, firmer, and healthier! I do like this brand, and I will try it out. I always appreciate a good moisturizer or treatment, though I have several I like so it will have to be pretty amazing to make me want to buy it!

Like with previous months, I am pretty ambivalent about this Sample Society box. It's definitely not terrible, and there are a couple of really great products in there. However, at this time, the fun and usefulness does not justify the price for me and my current budget. So, I did decide to go ahead and cancel again. Sample Society is really great for people who are looking for samples of luxe products, it's just not what I'm looking for right now (which is new and unique things, mostly!)

Have you tried Sample Society? What did you think of it?

No comments: