Thursday, August 15, 2013

Ipsy Glam Bag - August 2013

After taking what seemed like forever, my Ipsy bag showed up this week! It's something I look forward to every month, and this month was no exception!

Ipsy's theme this month is "Glamour Academy", which I think is a really cute theme for the back-to-school season. Ipsy says that the Glamour Academy bag is perfect for the professional or student, and that it contains beauty essentials to stash in your bag as well as goodies to help you prep for an event or party. Sounds good to me!

Over the last several months, Ipsy has been refining and using their IpsyMatch system to send out bag variations. I have finally managed to tweak my profile in such a way that I have been super happy with my bags each month! Here's what I got for August.

The bag itself this month is a cute purple and gold print...reminds me a little of Harry Potter! I received five items this month.

Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Facial Scrub - This is a gentle exfoliating scrub using charcoal to remove impurities and jojoba wax to gently exfloliate. I was so excited to get this! I've always been curious about Michael Todd's products, and I have a charcoal mask from Origins that I adore. I have used it, and it didn't disappoint! It is not too abrasive and left my skin feeling super soft and smooth. Plus, it gives you an awesome case of scaryface (while using),  perfect for disturbing any brothers, boyfriends, or husbands you might have around. Always a bonus!

Pacifica Alight BB Cream - This is a shade adjusting BB cream that is sheer and illuminating. I love Pacifica, and I like BB creams, but this one doesn't work for me! It is too dark for my pale skin, and it has zero coverage.  That said, I'm happy to have tried it, because it is the sort of product I might have bought at some point. Glad to know I should save my money and buy the Pacifica goodies I do love!

Pixi Lash Booster Mascara - This is a simple black mascara. Pixi is another brand I like, so I was happy to try this. Upon use, it is okay! It is not super lengthening or thickening, but it offers a nice natural look with just a bit of definition and some color for my pale lashes. I'll use up the sample for everyday looks, but I don't think I'll purchase it. I do like my dramatic mascaras!

Urban Decay Revolution lipstick in Anarchy - This is something I was so excited to try! I love Urban Decay, but I never did try their lipsticks. This promises to be longwearing while not being drying. I got the shade Anarchy, which is a bright fuschia pink (which is exactly the right shade to send me to make me super excited!). Let me tell you, this stuff lasts! I am more prone to reach for lip balms because lipsticks never last on me, and when at work, I can't be bothered to reapply a billion times. I put this on in the morning, and more than 8 hours later, I had to physically remove it! It survived 8 hours, a full meal, several drinks, and even a toothbrushing! I'm super impressed with the staying power, the feel, and the color is just beautiful. I am definitely going to be buying a couple of these!

MicaBeauty shimmer powder in Bronze - I received this product in the shade Earth in April. I loved that one, and I love this one too! It is simply a loose shimmery pigment. It is a bronzey gold color and so sparkly. I'm excited to use this more and add some shimmer to my looks!

Here are light swatches of the Urban Decay in Anarchy and the MicaBeauty shimmer in Bronze. Both are just lovely.

Here, I am wearing the Pacifica BB cream, the MicaBeauty shimmer powder (on eyes), the Pixi mascara, and the Urban Decay lipstick! I am wearing no other makeup, so excuse the scary skin. As you can see, the shimmer is subtle, the mascara is darkening but doesn't provide much length (I think I'll try it paired with another mascara!) and the lipstick is nice and bold! (Normally with this shadow, I would have added another color or two and some eyeliner, and I'd normally wear a bit of blush and/or some highlighter, but I wanted to keep things for this picture limited to the items in the bag!)

And because I can't turn down an opportunity to disturb others, here is the charcoal mask in action! Love it! (and yes, that is the lipstick, still going after 8 hours, brushing my teeth, AND washing my face!)

Ipsy did a really great job with my bag this month! Most of the items were just outstanding, and I will be purchasing full sizes of them...and the couple that aren't my favorite, I am still glad to have tried! This is one of my favorite bags to date.

What was in your bag this month?

IF you haven't joined yet, feel free to use my referral link to sign up!

No comments: